Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Barbara O'brien from About.com: Zen Mormons?


Zen Mormons? By Barbara O'Brien, About.com Guide December 1, 2008 I hesitate to post this, because with the Mormon ads that pop up here from time to time I fear people will think About.com Buddhism is a front for the LDS Church. It isn't, but I guess you'll have to trust me on that. Anyway, some Brigham Young University students are calling themselves "Zen Mormons" after spending two weeks at a Zen retreat in Santa Cruz, California. They learned about bodhichitta (although I think "charity" is a lame definition for bodhichitta), interdependence ("My salad is the whole world.") and gratitude. There are at least a couple of Zen centers in Santa Cruz, and and article doesn't say which one hosted the Mormons or if the retreat was formal, as a sesshin, or just a two-week residency. Still, it sounds as if the students were favorably impressed. ShareThis Comments (6) See All Posts Share Prev Next Leave a Comment Comments December 1, 2008 at 4:46 pm(1) Kendall says: I came across the article on another site too. I found it a little funny. People always seem so surprised that they don’t really know what they think they know. At least they were open to learning about Buddhism and giving it a good effort. Though it seemed a touch odd that they were carrying copies of the Book of Mormon with them to hand out, as though they had all along planned on converting the Buddhist. I know that’s overstated, but it did strike me as suspicious on some level. I’m glad they found some positive experiences to take away from the retreat though, and expanded their minds. December 3, 2008 at 2:47 am(2) Rob says: Wow. If something that unorthodox got posted on the Mormon Times, perhaps hearts and minds are opening! Giving out the Book of Mormon? I’ll give these college students the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they were interested in an exchange of ideas, and viewed the books as just such an exchange. It was an act of generosity. As long as they don’t quiz the recipients later, we can dismiss any ulterior motives. “Son, where’s that lovely lamp I bought you for Christmas 1992?” Uh, Mom, I gave that to Goodwill… December 4, 2008 at 5:23 am(3) David says: ‘Charity’ might seem like a lame definition for bodhichitta, but you have to bear in mind that Mormons use the word differently from most people. When Mormons talk about charity, they don’t mean acts of giving, but rather the attribute of being able to love everyone unconditionally, and put the needs of other people above their own. They talk about it as one of the ultimate steps to becoming like God – having compassion and an earnest desire to help everyone, regardless of who they are. December 5, 2008 at 5:19 pm(4) Rose Paul says: The Book of Mormon Books they were carrying were not a meant as an act of charity. I happen to know for a fact that Mormons give those books out like some companies give out samples. They want you to be either interested or curious enough that you will call the local temple. At least they are not like the RCC. They feel you are theirs as soon as conception begins and the indoctrination starts soon after that! On that note, I had personal experience! My step-father was a Mormon and other than being a little bit pushy on my beliefs he never hurt anyone. Mormons are basically a decent sort, at least I have never heard of a Mormon wanting to burn my people at a stake. But I would love to think that some of the Brothers and Sisters of the LDS got their minds expanded with Buddhism, Zen or Wicca. Brightest Holiday Blessings on you all no matter what your beliefs! March 22, 2010 at 3:17 am(5) Daniel says: Thank you David. I am LDS and your description of charity is spot on. We often define charity as the “pure love of Christ” or unconditional love for all beings. I understand the meaning bodhichitta well and can say that although many LDS folks may not know the meaning of either of these words very well, they are generally striving to be better people. I also know bodhichitta well enough to know that someone who is actively working for the well-being of all souls would not make such obviously deragatory statements about anyone from any faith. I love you Barbara and I hope you harbor no ill feelings towards anyone, especially innocent Mormon college students who are striving to know themselves and who are at least open minded enough to visit such a place and then show respect and admiration by adding a term, although perhaps in a trite manner, to their title of “Mormon”. If anything it shows they added something to their understanding of the universe and God from their visit. Indeed, I love buddhism and have the greatest respect for all traditions, churches and belief systems and see them as distinct jewels. Indeed, Mormons and those who call themselves buddhists have more in common than either party generally knows. If you look past some of the common speed bumps you’ll see a vast array of wondrous doctrines that we agree on. It’s always better to help one another see commonalities than to point out differences. May all beings be happy! April 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm(6) hasu hokage says: ROSE great point I my self am LDS with a slash of wicca an zen hay works for me i opend my mind to the truth god or goddess shows them selfs to us all in many diffrent forms. Its our job to love not hate an see them in the face of a small child or a raging stream

No comments:

Post a Comment